Thursday, March 05, 2009

Dear Ms. Earhart,

I love that you could touch the sky. I think about you sometimes and I wonder how it is that a little girl from Kansas learns to fly. I'm 48 years old and I still can't walk in heels.

Tell me, Amelia, did somebody infuse you with so much confidence that you always believed you could do anything you set your mind to? Or did somebody cut you so deep that you always believed you had something to prove to the universe?

Were you ever tired? Were you ever lonely? Did you get scared a lot? I like to imagine that from time to time you were all those things, but what I find so really remarkable is that if you ever did feel exhausted or isolated or fragile, you never let it stop you from taking off.

Still, I have to ask, didn't the concept of changing into something made of flannel, ordering in a couple of sushi rolls, and renting a good movie ever tempt you even a little? Because frankly, that's my idea of a perfect evening.

It's not that I don't experience a touch of wanderlust periodically, it's just that for all my talk of missing the swashbuckler gene, I'm currently off on an adventure of my own.


An article in CNN.com by Lisa Kogan,made me smile.

No comments: