Sunday, May 17, 2009

My training program begins again! I have another month and half to go!

Climbing mountains is a different kind of sport,requires a different kind of training and finally even after training so much its mostly a mind over body thing once you reach the final stages. You train for endurance,you need to be strong to lug those 60 pound plus backpacks but you should not be heavy and be bulky because that will not allow for un-restricted free climbing easily. You need strong thigh,calf and ankle muscles. You need really good stomach muscles to carry that weight on your back,bend over and climb. Finally breathing,you need to increase your lung capacity so that it can process more oxygen as you go higher and higher and the air gets thinner and thinner. My training is focusing on all these aspects but doing it in a gym and doing it on a mountain are two completely different things.This i understood from my Whitney climb. Mt.Hood North face is a completely different mountain,not as high as whitney but would be no cake walk,its mostly mind over body for me for its a steep face and i have mostly my fear to overcome.

No comments: