Saturday, April 12, 2014

Earth to earth,dust to dust,ashes to ashes


Departed comrade! Thou, redeemed from pain
Shall sleep the sleep that kings desire in vain
Not thine the sense of loss
But lo, for us the void
That never shall be filled again.
Not thine but ours the grief.
All pain is fled from thee.
And we are weeping in thy stead;
Tears for the mourners who are left behind
Peace everlasting for the quiet dead.
Lucretius, Roman epic poet and philosopher (ca 94 - 55BC)


With Gary Mims at stone mountain,the climbing legend of north carolina who pioneered most of the rock routes in that state.

Dear Gary Mims,
I am at a loss for words,death always has this effect on me. The thought that I will not have another climb with you is crushing. You were an inspiration to me, I absolutely loved your attitude and the confidence you instilled in the people surrounding you,I for one always felt safe knowing you were there and have tried to emulate you in climbing. I will cherish both my trips with you in North carolina and Ouray and was indeed very blessed and privileged to have met you and climbed with you.I simply cannot comprehend in my mind that our paths will never cross again,there is still a deep knot in the bottom of my gut as I write this.

1 comment:

roadtriplife said...

sad to hear, bro