Sunday, August 17, 2008

I am not an Animal, I am a human being!

I happened to see 'The elephant man' directed by David lynch, Basically a 1981 movie. I picked up the movie just out of curiousity(which i always am),the name intrigued me and also the fact that it had recieved 8 academy nominations including best picture and i had heard a lot about David lynch,so I wanted to try it and I was pleasantly surprised. The movie is completely shot in black and white and freddie francis has done an amazing job as a cinematographer!

I dont know how do you place this film,I kept seeing the movie in two perspectives,one from the perspective of the victim -its poignant and moving from the perspective of the crippled elephant man and another from the perspective of the society towards him - you cannot help looking at the different facets of society towards this crippled disfigured person.

The movie left me in a state which i really cannot explain right now.
What makes me all the more overwhelmed is ,it was based on a true story of a person called Joseph merrick. I have multiple threads of thoughts going on in my mind right now, the doctor community, the selfish money minded community,the philanthropic community,the ridiculous things called 'life' 'chance' 'fate', the concept called 'humane'....

Watch it if you can ...Needs a different bent of mind to watch it ..

Book reading - Night of the generals - Hans Hellmut Kirst
Watching on TV- Rowing - Olympics

No comments: