Friday, June 06, 2008

Hairy day!

Weird day and story ..an embarrassing one for me though!!

I have been in this new project for about a month now.A pretty unstable system and lot of fire burning around.I never met my business clients,i was just,lets say- air dropped into the war zone without getting instructions or meeting my commanders - i get air dropped and then i am provided with the instructions as to what to do.I am daily on zillions of calls with my Business clients resolving issues in this system.I hear their voices so very often that i relate a lot to their voices.I normally find it very uncomfortable to be talking often with someone to whose voice i cannot put a face to.This just intrigues my curiosity to see how this person looks like.But when you dont have the opportunity you start trying to build a face to the voice .. That is what I did and I imagined each of my business clients to look some way ...

I slept at 2.30 AM last night(or rather today morning) ... Had a meeting at 9 AM and had to be in office by then ,I kept my alarm for 7,overslept and woke up at 8.

I went into the bathroom ,switched the light on ... gawk!! I am gonna have a bad hair day ..okay no time..
Damn ...no ironed clothes ..what the heck ..no personal meetings - only phone calls.. i pull on an un-ironed jeans and a T-shirt,just ram my feet into a pair of shoes and run ...

My manager Mahesh picks me up for office ..I run into the car and slam the door.He looks at my appearance and just smiles ..he has got used to this ...


I reach office and enter the building,the security guy gives me a look, this is a financial institution ,everyone is in business suits or formal clothes and I stand out like a sore thumb in my unironed jeans,T-shirt and sneakers and uncombed hair - look more like a hippie i guess in the settings.

I reach office and open my mail box ..I see my business clients want to meet us today. They want to have a face to face meeting instead of a telephonic call..they want to meet us ..

I am delighted. I finally get to meet these voices.

But the delight turns immediately to a shucks, Not today.. I am a mess. I cannot meet them like this,but I dont have a choice ..i either meet them or skip the meeting. But the meeting is important so I cannot skip it.Well .. mixed emotions .. I go to Mahesh place and he looks again at me,doesn't say anything. I tell him 'I look like a tapori, and we are meeting them for the first time,i can't believe this to be happening today itself'. He tells me 'No big deal!! Cool it'.
I tell him 'Easy for you to say, you are dressed well'. He smiles.

I keep thinking ..'shucks ..what a start for the day..why today' and enter the elevator.Again the same looks form everyone,sigh .. i have to get used to this for the rest of the day.

Someone talks behind me in the elevator.Sounds very familiar!!Suddenly i realise its one of my business clients voices.Now i don't know what to do 'should I ,shouldn't I,should I ,shouldn't I' then finally what the heck.I turn around and say 'Hi, I am Mayur'. Boy!Do i get surprised looks.Lol!! A prize scene! After some coughs and handshakes and brief introductions in the elevator itself,we go to the meeting,i realize one of them keeps staring at my Hair! Oh god - please spare me!! But then i get lost in the meeting and forget how i am looking and so do they(hopefully!).Finally its a lot more of handshakes and a lot of 'see you,bye'.

It wasn't so bad! I survived!! In fact I was wondering about what i had imagined each one of them to look like and how they turned out.I must say a 50% hit rate - not too bad at putting a face to a voice!

2 comments:

Anupama said...

hahaha! I was thinking of asking you how you manage all yourself in USA all alone! I got my answer! :)

mawhyyouare said...

Hey!! What do you mean??? :) :) I have my partners in crime here. :)