Friday, September 12, 2008

Into thin air!

Book recommendation. Its been quite a while since i picked up a book which i couldn't put down.I, not only couldn't put the book down but i also read it twice over ,page to page. Maybe I am biased because its a story about climbing Mt.Everest.It chillingly describes the tragedy that happened in 1996 where in 12 people died trying to scale it. Reading some pages and scenes just caused the hair at the back of my neck to raise,i could feel the goose bumps.I happened to finish half the book while flying to Seattle for my mountain climbing trip and finished the rest half on the flight back. The second half is the most tragic and chilling part and after my personal experiences in climbing the mountain just few hours back ,i could just relate to each of the scenarios as to how it must have been when reading the second part on my way back.

This was the book which introduced me to Scott Fisher,the founder of mountain madness through whom i had my trip organized.Incidentally its Scott Fisher's expedition which goes all wrong and scott fisher himself is one of the fatalities in the 12 that perish.The author is one of the sum miters in a rival expedition who witnesses all this and this book is a live account of what he saw and felt. At the end of the book,you can feel a sense of loss,the cruelty of nature,the helplessness of humans,you question life,death,you question the rationale of humans,you admire-at the same time you detest. This book took me through a lot of emotions - probably because I read it immediately after my trip and could almost relate to what those people must have went through .

Still, I recommend this book by Jon Krakauer- please read it if you ever get a chance.Appu bought the book.

No comments: