Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy Couple..

It was one of those days where in nothing happened right. I guess everyone has these days. I took a bus all the way to office to fax something and the fax machine did not work and i combed around for another fax machine and tried to send across the fax and it did not go through, I went to a camera shop to find a deal that i wanted and it was already gone, I went to the library to get a book that i had ordered to be held and it was misplaced and they couldn't find it. I went into a Northface shop for it had a sale and came out disappointed. It was a very bright and sunny day in the morning and it had just got my spirits up to go and do all these things,now i was coming out of the northface shop and the time was 4:30 pm and the weather was gloomy and dull reflecting my mood. I stepped out and started walking towards the bus stop,while walking on the pavement I suddenly heard a couple of clangs behind me and i turned around to see what it was. There was this blind couple hand in hand and their other hands held their walking sticks which they were furiously waving in front of them. Their sticks had found the metal hoarding that was placed on the pavement to advertise something,that made the clanging sounds. They immediately stopped and felt around with their sticks and cautiously made their way around the hoard. I was surprised. I stepped back a little and let them go ahead,the pave ment was a bit slippery because of all the snow and ice and i was fascinated and curious to see how they would make their way across. I started following them.

It was perfect synchronisation ,they had held each other very close to each other arm in arm as in a lock and their eyes were their walking sticks,I followed them three blocks and they amazingly evaded light poles,hoardings,they found out the dips in pavements,they crossed roads(in america(atleast in minneapolis) pedestrian always has right of way,so vehicles always stop for people irrespective of whether the traffic sign says walk or stop)and vehicles stopped. All the while they were laughing and talking excitedly.They were enjoying life and each other's company. Infact the lady received a call in between and she took the call with the hand in which she had her walking stick and the man led her across while she was talking. It was as if they were two normal people. They did not feel despondent about their state.

I suddenly lost all my gloominess and felt elated. What started as a tang of pity for both of them suddenly turned into profuse happiness for both of them.They had touched my life and taught me something without even realising it. I suddenly felt i was very blessed in life and wished if there was a god to bless them. I have always found that one does not have to look somewhere for inspiration in life,they are right across your streets,in and around you,we are just blind most of the times consumed by our own thoughts and perceptions. I am sure every person who passed them on the street would have felt it.

3 comments:

roadtriplife said...

wow! that's an amazing story

... and what started out as pity about how your day was going, turned into profuse happiness for you and the brilliant ability to observe the sweet little nothings of everyday life, that we otherwise choose to ignore

btw, you may wanna take a look at a similar story of another couple here

http://www.ijourney.org/story.php?sid=3

mawhyyouare said...

Wonderful kano.Thank you so much for sharing it. :)

Raj Jain said...

Great story, Mayur.

The true happiness of life is in small yet great moments, and it is upto us to grab those.