Wednesday, July 02, 2008

God!

Somebody asked me the other day - Do you believe in God?

I did not know how to answer him. I asked him 'what kind of god do you mean?'.He got confused.He said 'you know..the concept of god'. I said 'That's a better question'.
'Yes' 'I believe in god'. He goes 'So you are religious' . I say 'You got me wrong, I am not a believer in god that way'. He goes 'So what kind are you a believer in?' . I reply 'You can call my belief very close to pantheistic'. He 'uh ..hmm.. what kind is that?'. I don't know how to explain it 'Google it'. I dont know whether he ever found enough interest in my beliefs to go home and google it.

But today I was at a book store and was skimming through different books and i happened to chance upon a book on Einstein by Walter Issacson which seemed very interesting. Funnily enough somebody asked the same question to Einstein and here was his reply and i went on thinking nobody could have put my belief about god in better words than this.

[?] Do you believe in God?

Einstein - “I’m not an atheist. I don’t think I can call myself a pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds.

We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn’t know what it is.

That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws.”

No comments: